Welcome to the 2017 Fiber Flux Spring Crochet Along...yippee! I am super excited...today is the first day and the day we will be learning about the project and talking about things like supplies and sizing.. We will be going over a few things to begin:
- Introduction to the project
- Schedule of the CAL
- Where to connect with other makers
For this CAL (crochet along) we are going to be making the "Tropical Getaway Blanket" a join as you go (JAYGO) classic granny square blanket, each with a sweet blossom in the center. The CAL will be divided over 6 weeks, concluding with a fun showcase of blankets in our maker gallery! Scroll down for the schedule with actual dates and what we'll be doing on each day.
*This is a self-paced project, so definitely go at the speed you feel most comfortable. The instructional videos and posts will be up forever and you will always be able to go back and watch again and again!
Here is a quick video introduction to the CAL and more information about supplies too:
Add this project to your Ravelry queue by clicking on the button below:
First things first...the supplies!
First things first...the supplies!
- 6.5 mm "K" crochet hook
- 10 balls of Red Heart With Love Yarn in colors of your choice (I'll be using 2 balls of "Papaya," 2 balls of "Blue Hawaii," 2 balls of "Lilac," 2 balls of "Aqua," and 2 balls of "White" NOTE: Red Heart With Love comes in two different sizes, both a 370 yard ball and a 315 yard ball. I realize that some stores carry one size and not the other, so either size will give you enough yarn for BOTH the blanket AND the surprise bonus pattern at the end.
- Tapestry Needle
- Tape Measure or Ruler (optional)
Sizing: I am making mine to be large enough to fit on a twin sized bed, so the finished blanket as shown will be 4 squares across and 6 squares down. After adding the border (week 4!), it will be enough to cover the top of the mattress with a few inches hanging down all around the edge of the bed. Check out the squares layout here:
*Note: for blankets larger than the one shown, more yarn might be needed. Also, there is SO many variations of blanket sizes out there...you can use these as general guidelines or as a jumping off point, but if you have dimensions that work better for you, please feel to use those instead.
Get yarn for this project here!
OK, let's talk about the schedule...like I mentioned this will be going on for 6 weeks, each week being a different part, and concluding with a bonus pattern (yay!) and maker gallery. That being said, please feel free to go at your own pace too.
- Tuesday March 14 (that's today!): Introduction to the CAL, the project, sizing options, and supplies needed
- Tuesday March 21: How to make the basic square for the Tropical Getaway Blanket, review of the chart for motif placement, plus some helpful tips.
- Tuesday March 28: How to join squares with the join as you go technique (JAYGO), helpful tips for using the chart to plan your work.
- Tuesday April 4: How to add an edging to "frame" in your squares, finish work on the blanket.
- Tuesday April 11: Surprise! Today there will be a special surprise bonus pattern to go along with your blanket.
- Tuesday April 18: I will feature our Maker Gallery...so send me your work! This can be single motifs, work in progress, or finished pieces too! We want to see it all!
Last part...let's connect! You can connect at any of the social media outlets below:
Also we have a special group for us on Ravelry, the "Fiber Flux CAL Group" There is a welcome area, so please hop on and introduce yourself. You can get info, ask questions, help each other, see what everyone is doing, and show off your work too!
I am so super excited to see all of your beautiful blankets in the next few weeks...please share those pictures and above enjoy, take some time to relax with your hook, and have fun! That's all for today lovelies, see you next Tuesday for part two!!
© Jennifer Dickerson 2017
For more fun projects and pretty patterns, be sure to follow Fiber Flux on Google+, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest for the latest updates!